Somerset County Council Social Services
Map for Somerset County Council Social Services
The team provide a full range of personal social services to people with visual impairments in Somerset, including:
- assessment of both registered and non-registered visually impaired people
- provision of equipment
- provision of support, information and advice
- rehabilitation service, including training in mobility, independent living skills and communication skills
- referral to other County Council services when appropriate, such as home care, day services.
Specialist social work staff are based in local offices, alongside other staff working with people with physical and sensory disabilities.
Social services also run an information desk at Taunton and Somerset Hospital to assist patients who are about to be discharged or who have been recently discharged from hospital
A collection of information sheets about living with sight loss are available through the website.
- Local authority social care
- Hospital information
- Community advice
- Everyday living skills
- Mobility training